Monday, October 22, 2012

Pinteresting Recipes Part 4

Another round of reviews (read the previous ones here)

Pinned ImageHawaiian Grilled Chicken

Ok, a few things went wrong.  First: before using coconut milk, shake it.  I didn't know this so it wasn't too coconutty.  Second: I only marinated for 4 hours instead of 8.  Third: we bought a bulk meat deal from a local butcher.  I didn't realize that 1lb. of chicken would be one breast instead of 2-3.  This caused me to completely scramble at the last minute for another dinner for the kids.  However, I was happy with how it cooked and if I had let it marinade longer the flavour would have been better.  This I will make again. 

**I have made a second time and it was awesome!  I let it marinade over night and cooked on the indoor grill.  This was a hit!

Pinned ImageCowboy Casserole

I had this as left overs, which I was told wasn't as good as the night before, but I liked it.  It's basically Sheppard's Pie topped with tater tots instead of mashed potatoes.  A good kid friendly meal.






Pinned ImageCorn Chowder

This was pretty good and the kids loved it.  I did forget the red peppers and celery (I don't know how) and it was missing "something" so add at least the celery, although the red pepper adds colour.  Danny later said it needs some bacon, but he says that about most soups.  It does make a lot so plan for a left over night or freeze it - I googled it and you can freeze it with the milk in it.  The potatoes might get a little soggy in the defrosting but in soup do you notice?



Pinned ImageChocolate Cupcakes

This is the recipe I used for Lynden's birthday cupcakes.  The recipe said it makes 16 but I didn't alternate between the flour and milk and ended up with 42 cupcakes between 2 batches.  I found them to be a little dry; but I don't know if that's because of how I added the milk (slowly added) or my oven, which is quite off.  They were flavourful cupcakes though. 




Pinned ImageWhite Turkey Stew

I was really looking forward to this and I was really disappointed.  I didn't enjoy the flavour (too much cumin) and we used beans you had to presoak and they were terrible, which didn't help.  The kids ate a bit of it, but we didn't push it since we didn't eat more than a few bites (we ended up having A&W for dinner)





Pinned Image
Slow Cooker Chicken

I only had this after left overs and I liked it.  Danny said he would have it again but would crisp the skin after (bake at 500 for 15 minutes).  I didn't plan it properly, we had it just a few days before Thanksgiving (we had 2 turkey dinners), so I don't know we enjoyed it to its fullest.  A great way to have a nice dinner without the fuss.


Pinned ImageTeriyaki "Dump" Chicken

This was a hit!  Lynden actually asked for seconds, which he never does.  I like the idea of "dump" chicken - throw your chicken in with some marinade and freeze.  Take it out when you want and you don't have to worry about seasoning the meat later.  I'm looking forward to trying out some other recipes. 



Pinned ImagePumpkin Spice Muffins

One of the big perks of Thanksgiving (besides turkey) is pumpkin flavoured stuff.  Oh, I love it!  I bought a large can of pumpkin puree and made pumpkin pancakes, pumpkin cookies, and had enough left over for pumpkin muffins.  I quite liked these ones.  They weren't as moist as I was expecting them to be and I didn't have time to make the icing, but the cinnamon sugar topping was good enough.  Great flavour; a Definite keeper. 


Pinned ImageMorning Glory Muffin

This was my second recipe for morning glory muffins and I liked this one better.  The first recipe I felt was missing something and were drier, these are great.  The recipe made 24 and they didn't last long.  Danny preferred the original recipe more so I'll make both recipes again and see which we like more. 

1 comment: