While there Lynden wanted to play "The Stair Game", which I remember hearing about a few months ago but did not actually see the game played. Lynden and his older cousin Brody came up with the game earlier this spring and they both enjoyed it, which is quite the feat since Lynden's 7 years younger.
After playing the game on Friday I think it's kinda brilliant (then again, my son is kinda brilliant).
What you'll need:
Children - if they can count on their own even better
then the parents don't actually have to do anything.
How to play:
1. The kids sit at the top of the stairs, they choose 2 numbers between 1 and 6, and rolls the dice (for added fun have someone at the bottom of the stairs and the kids can roll the dice down the stairs)
2. If one of their numbers come up they get to move down that number of stairs; their turn is over. If both numbers come up they move down the highest number of stairs.
3. If their none of their numbers come up they stay where they are; their turn is over.
4. If one of their numbers is rolled as doubles they get another turn.
5. The next child goes (follow steps 1-4).
6. The first child to the bottom of the stairs wins.
7. Play again!
It's a great way to practice counting and taking turns while having fun. Lynden can play it for hours
I love the educational games that don't feel like learning.