Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Have A Drink On Me

I am slowly nearing the end of breastfeeding, which is a big deal.  With Lynden I had major milk issues; at 3 months my body stopped producing milk, overnight.  It was frustrating.  I had a goal of 6 months, so I struggled for the next 3 months trying to keep nursing, only producing enough milk for him to nurse during the night.  When I was done it took 10 days for my left side to get engorged, that's how much milk I was (or wasn't) producing.

With Alyssa I planned on breastfeeding for 6 months and was prepared for the same 3 month issues for my milk.  3 months came and went and no issues, 6 months came and no issues, and since she was gaining well I decided I'll try to nurse for a year.  It's been just over a year and we're in the final stages of nursing.  She gets milk during the night only, everything else is Homo milk. 

However, as we near the end of breastfeeding I'm getting a little nervous. 

One reason I decided to keep nursing Alyssa after the 6 months (and I easily could have had her weaned completely in November or December) was so I wouldn't have to drink.  I know, it sounds stupid... I know, but let me explain. 

For some reason there has been a lot of pressure for me to drink.  I don't know why. 

After Lynden was born I was asked quite often "when are you going to start drinking again?".  Even with Alyssa there's been a lot of "when you start drinking again".  This astounds me, it really does.


For those of you who don't know me I am not a big drinker, never have been.  Turning 19 wasn't about being able to drink for me, it was about getting into the venues you had to be 19 to get in to see concerts.  In the almost 7 years Danny and I have been together he has seen me drunk 4 times; all but one, which was our wedding, occurred before I had Lynden.  I've even been told I'm "no fun" and a "poor sport" because I won't drink.

Now don't get me wrong, I have my days where my answer to "how was your day" has been "If I could drink..." but even then I might have 1 glass of wine.  But I find it infuriating that there's so much pressure to drink.  Why? 

Even Danny has talked to me about it, and I understand where he's coming from... to some degree, but even then it makes me want to drink less than I would have already.  I might not be the life of the party, not that I am when I do drink, but I have a good time and I can remember what happens the next day.  I also have 2 children who I am responsible for and they often sometimes wake up during the night, which defaults to mommy-duty. 

I don't understand the pressure I'm feeling.  I don't understand the emphasis on alcohol.  I don't understand why people think I would suddenly start drinking when I never really have.  I don't understand why people don't seem to want to accept that I'm okay without a drink in my hand. 

Now, don't get me wrong, there will be times when I will have the occasional drink.  Who am I to turn down a mojito??

Pinned Image
I'm drooling already

I just want it to be on my terms, no pressure, just acceptance of my choice.


 I'm linking up with Shell over at Things I Can't Say

7 comments:

  1. That is odd that people would pressure you to drink. I think I have had this conversation with you before. But its great that you stick to whats right for you, and don't give into peer pressure.

    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is very possible to have fun without drinking; I should know, I don't drink. At all. It's a personal choice I made when I was a teenager, I just don't really see the point. Sure some people pressured me to drink, but my real friends accept it and have no problem with it at all. I don't even see what there is to have a problem with!

    You don't need any excuse to not drink, if that's your choice then that should be good enough.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on this Amanda. I was never much of a drinker b/k but once I figured out that Mommy duty didn't end if I was "out of sorts" I decided it wasn't fair to my kids or myself if I was tired and grumpy because I had made the decision to imbibe to excess. Your decision shows a level of maturity and acceptance of your responsibilities that goes beyond what many don't begin to consider. I'm not a teatotaler but I am proud to say that none of my kids has had to "nurse" me through a hangover or bear the brunt of a tired and grumpy Mommy that resulted from poor choices on my part. Cheering for you from the sidelines.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fantastic post! I am so proud of you. I completely understand why you were so emotional about this post. Chris and I really don't drink either. A bottle of wine can last us a week! But some days...well you know. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm... that's a weird pressure people would put on you. I'd probably just laugh it off and avoid the questions.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm over from the blog hop! I don't really drink either and when I tell people I don't drink, they can't wrap their heads around it. "You don't drink at all?" No, not really. Maybe one drink every 4 months. The last time I was drunk was four years ago..and I decided that needed to end. Alcohol brought me nothing but literal and figurative headaches..what's to miss??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely nothing. Although... we've been making mojitos, so it's been the occasional drink. But it's different when I enjoy it because I wanted one, not because I had to

      Delete